Monday, June 21, 2010

You know you work in a library when...

Something occurred recently that felt so natural I knew things weren't right. I have started referring to other libraries by their NUC symbol (mostly used in Document Supply) in daily conversation with normal non-MUL people. Case in point, I was giving directions to a relative and explained 'It's the theatre opposite NUN, you know the one?' (even pronouncing it 'noon') and waited for their nodding approval.

It did not come.

After a pause, I backtracked and attempted to speak English. (the university of new south wales is such a mouthful though!)

The incident made me think, what are the other quirky ways you know you work in a Library?

Sadly I can add that even on weekends when 10:30am rolls around I think 'Morning Tea!'

Do you have any sad and worrying examples to add?

6 comments:

  1. Whenever I come across a person's initial, I seem to always associate it with a LC classification area or a Department in the Library. Examples of peoples initials. Can you tell me what you associate them with when you see it? -IA, JK, KF, LC.
    -Yes, I'm a proud library nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my habit that a friend of mine pointed out when when I went shopping with her. Browsing through a bookshop, I can't help but shelve tidy a little, and when I see an item in the wrong area, I put in the area it's suppose to be at (as long as it's close by) That's extreme but it's so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tidying books: I can see it! I'm similar in a way... I 'help' fold people's laundry when I should just be having tea and a chat. I do it even when they don't ask.

    (they never ask)

    (i need to stop)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, you know you work at MU library when you belong to at least one general or social commitee, or a working party....hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm I think it appears that us special cases with O.C.D tendencies seem to work together in a Library. I guess since I've worked in Doc Supply I tend to refer to the Libraries according to their NUC code too, and I remember them according to the little stickers or bits of paper we put on the padded mailers... and yeah, associating LC call numbers with people's initials. bit problem TOO!!! Have never, evvverr come across an NL though?? >.<

    Oh, and a nice little habit I picked up from the pharmacy... "fronting up." This was when we used to push all the stock to the front of the shelf to make it look full. Hmm ever been accused of theft when you're tidying? I HAVE! HAHA

    Us Library people's got issues, maybe we should all book ourselves into a group session over at the Psyc Clinic in E5A, I hear they treat people with these types of issues. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that story!! I agree with Ressie, I tends to tidy friends bookshelves, or bookshop shelves. And yup, initials mean specific things to me. Can't say I've done it in this job but when I was doing reception it was not unusual for me to answer my home phone with "Good morning, Robotcoupe and FED, Josephine speaking, how may I help you?"

    ReplyDelete